Section 4. Economic Development
- To create a healthy, diverse economic base and to increase the economic opportunities for the people of Pittsfield
- Emphasize the importance of the central business district as an important commercial center in the city
- Encourage the development of retail and service businesses in the central business district; identify the businesses that will prosper in the downtown area and try to attract them.
- Develop a ‘Shop Pittsfield’ program to promote local retail businesses.
- Support the Main Street program in Pittsfield to strengthen the historic character of the downtown and to make it more attractive to residents as well as tourists and therefore, businesses.
- Encourage the utilization of empty second stories in the downtown buildings as residential apartments and offices to bring more people into the downtown, making it more lucrative for businesses.
- Develop a plan for the utilization of the Brown Shoe Factory site that will complement the central business district and attract people to the downtown area.